Baked Chimichangas

January 21, 2014

Ok this past week I tried a 'Baked Chimichanga' recipe that I found on Pinterest. I think it was originally a Weight Watchers recipe. But I added and took out some things that I thought would work.

Here are the ingredients:

*1/2 lb of ground turkey
*1 onion finely chopped (I buy the chopped onions because I have seriously sensitive eyes due to an a Thompson's water seal accident that I will have to share with you all one day).
*1 clove of garlic minced
*2 tsp of chili powder
*1 tsp of dried oregano
*1/2 tsp of ground cumin
*8 oz can of tomato sauce
*2 tbsp of mild green chilis (i used canned)
*1/3 cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese
*8 in fat free flour tortillas (I use the raw flour tortillas that are NOT fat free).


and here is what I did....



Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Spray a non stick oven sheet and put aside.

Now spray a medium-large skillet with non stick spray. I use Pam (she never lets me down).

Add the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano & cumin ( I was out so I didn't use this).

Brown the turkey and mix the above ingredients for about 6 minutes or until you think your turkey is cooked.

Now stir in the tomato sauce & chilis. Bring this to a boil (careful it happens pretty fast).

Turn down the heat and let simmer (uncovered) for about 5 minutes.

Take off of the heat and stir in the cheese.

Wrap your totrillas in foil and stick in the oven to warm for a 10ish minutes. I skipped this because I use the raw tortillas from Sams Club or Costco.

Now put about 1/2 cup of the turkey mixture in to your torilla, fold it and put on the oven sheet that you had set aside.

Once they are all folded and placed on the oven sheet, spray the tops of the chimichangas lightly with cooking spray.

Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Voila


I also made some Spanish rice and cut up some avocado's to serve with the chimis. Sidenote... my middle brother had a bunny named chimichanga when I was little. Strange now that I think of it. 


The dish was a hit and I will def make this again in the future. Good luck and hope you like it.
 photo siggy_zps57b91eb6.png

6 comments:

  1. That looks delicious!! Definitely saving this recipe for later!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course nothing is like a good fried chimi but this was excellent!!!!

      Delete
  2. Those sound and look delicious!! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. & YES I've been watching Bitten!!! I haven't seen the latest episode but I plan on watching it ASAP. I am bummed that the computer animation (the wolves) totally sucks, but I like the actors so far.

      Delete
    2. Okay I am kind of disappointed in the guy they chose for Jeremy... But Clay... Yummmm! lol. Yes the wolves totally suck but I am already super excited about it.

      Delete
  3. Hey! I just tried to respond to a comment you left on my blog (Southern Beauty Guide) but it seems you are a no reply blogger:/

    ReplyDelete